If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Wisconsin.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pandemics

I have connections in health care and I can tell you right now that if we really do have a pandemic that requires many people to be on ventilators, (as the swine flu tends to) there will be many deaths. I say this with confidence because no hospital has enough vents on hand to handle a pandemic. Hospitals keep inventory low, just like most buisnesses do, and also use JIT inventory. If a hospital should have need of more vents, they just call up the supplier and rent some until the need is over, thus keeping invetory low overall. But in a pandemic, we will be SOL. Every hospital cannot be supplied at once. And even if they did have enough equipment, do they have the trained personnel availale to keep it running? Respiratory Therapists are specifically trained for the job and you just can't stick someone else into that position easily. RNs can work different floors with minimal training, but IMHO you can't just stick someone into an RT position without more extensive training.
You might want to make some inquires at your local hospitals about this now as they keep saying they expect we will be hit harder with the swine flu this fall. Of course they are planning and preparing, but I asked a friend who is an RT and there were no increases in their inventory... Mostly they have talked about having back up for childcare so you can still come to work. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure these things out, yet the heads of our health institutions are more worried about their paychecks and the bottom line, so they are still keeping the inventory low.
I hope you are planning on ways to keep your family healthy through this next few seasons. Remember that an ounce of prevention of worth a pound of cure.
Keep Preppin'
HUP

2 comments:

Northwoods said...

Hi HUP,
Great to see ya post'n.
Been busy around here put'n in the garden. Gotta love our short growing season as I had to cover for frost last night. Hit 28% a mile from me in the lowlands but we faired @ 38%.
For sure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'd done a recent post on Colloidal Silver and I gotta say it seems to work. The wife,daughter and I have been taking an "ounce" a day for about 7 months with virtually no illness while many in our daughter's school have been sick.
Just maybe something to that stuff!
Hope all is well by you and keep on preppin!
Northwoods

TakeNoPrisoners! said...

Hello all Preppies. I am a Newbie to all of this. Maybe had everything (well enough that I knew I needed to take action immdeialtely)figured out in February or March. I have about an 8 week supply of canned soup, meat, vegetables, beans, rice, water and powdered milk. Better be have some beer around too.

I am going to the Appleseed training this weekend in Shiocton, so stand clear everyone! I purchased a small "Protector" thing, but should be able to get the job done to disable and or $%&* if necessary !

I definetly want to meet and greet, I can use all of the help I can get. I am planting my garden this weekend. I live south of the GB area.

Scott

Wisconsin Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Wisconsin Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.